The Masonic Temple / The Rio

137-149 W. Mountain

The Rio as it looked on April 28, 2015. (Photo by Meg Dunn.)

Masonic Lodge: 1902

“Masonic Temple. The Freemasons of Fort Collins have decided to erect a handsome Masonic temple, which shall be a credit to the order and an ornament to tthe city. General plans of the structure have already been adopted and contracts will be let for construction work as soon as detail drawings and specifications can be prepared. The temple will stand on the south side of Mountain avenue between College avenue and Mason streeton lots 20, 21 and 22, block 111, which, Cache la Poudre Chapter No. 11, Royal Arch Masons, has owned for several years. The ground dimensions of the building will be 75 by 85 feet, the first story 15 feet and the second 21 feet in heighth. The ground floor will be divided into three elegant store rooms, leaving room for a broad stairway leading to the second floor. The second story will contain lodge room, 35 by 55, ante room 17 1/2 by 19 1/2, preparation room, 9 by 15, property room, 12 by 12, store room, 5 1/2 by 7, parlor 14 by 20, kitchen, 10 by 20, banquet hall, 46 by 47 1/2, closets, etc. The ceilings of the lodge room and banquet hall will be 21 feet high and the interior arrangements of the temple will be modern throughout. The elevation shows a building of the Modified Doric order of architecture and when completed will present a handsome and imposing appearance. The plans were drawn by Messrs. Edward Parkman Boyd and C. A. Henderson.” (The Weekly Courier, March 6, 1902.)

“The K. of P. Social Club The K. of P. Social club will again assemble for an evening of fun and music on Friday evening, January 16. These parties are always welcomed by the K. of P. boys and their friends, and anticipations of happy hours of dignified social intercourse are never disappointed. The new Masonic temple, with its many conveniences, furnishes adequate accommodations for the various pursuits of the evening–ping-pong, cards, music, dancing and a variety of table games. Because of the increased membership of the club, invitations are confined to the members of Larimer Lodge, No. 101, Knights of Pythias.” (The Weekly Courier, January 14, 1903.)

more here