On January 2, 1898, several people got together, including Thadeus A. Gage, Jay D. Stannard, Frank J. Anis, C. R. Welch, and Charles B. Warrn, and they wrote up the constitution for a new church. Two of the primary goals of this new church were “To join ourselves together for the worship of God and the service of man” and “To dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another.” The church had no denominational affiliation and was considered a “liberal religious society.”
In 1900, it was decided that the church should align with a larger denomination. It was decided that the American Unitarians were the closest fit and on March 1, 1900, Unity Church became a member of the Unitarian denomination.
The congregation met in Odd Fellows Hall for several years with a one year stint in Ault Hall (from September 1901 – October 1902). C. R. Welch was a member and sold property to the congregation so they could build a church at College Avenue and Mulberry Street. The stone building was erected in 1904 at a cost of $15,000 and dedicated on June 9, 1905.
Established public library.
Female pastor for one year.
Moved to Remington Street and then to Vine.
Merged with the Congregational Church in 1931.