Old Post Office

201 S. College Avenue

The Museum of Art Fort Collins, offices, and Blue Agave Grill restaurant. 

The following is clipped from the Denver Republican: Washington, May 23. — The secretary of the treasury today opened bids for construction of the proposed public building at Fort Collins. The bidders and kind of stone for which bids were made were: James Stewart Co., Denver, limestone, $95,640, sandstone, $91,540. William Simpson Construction Co., Denver, $108,504; and $109,704; Deeter & Wengel Construction Co., Wichita, $91,862 and $88,862; King Lumber Co., Charlottesville, Va., $94,700 and $98,700; Northwestern Construction Co., Kearney, Neb., $91,473 and $94,473; J. H. Wiess, South Omaha $84,571 and $85,114. No announcement is made as to an award being made but the last named bidder will probably receive the contract.” (The Weekly Courier, May 24, 1911.)

(From Wednesday’s Daily) Herbert Huntington, the inspector on the postoffice construction was in the city today from Denver for the purpose of starting the work on the foundations for the new postoffice. This work is a week ahead of time and gives promise of rapid construction on the building. With Mr. Huntington giving the word the concrete mixer was set in motion and as the Courier goes to press a great many yards of concrete are in place. The end of this week will see all of the concrete in place and set. The brick work will be started the first of next week when the superintendent of construction will again come here.” (The Weekly Courier, July 28, 1911.)

“NEW POST OFFICE NOT TO BE BUILT OF RED STONE Postoffice Department Has Approved of White Lime Stone and of Red and Black Granite. WORK IS BEING PUSHED WITH ALL POSSIBLE SPEED
(From Monday’s Daily) The new federal building will not be constructed of red sand stone. This has been expected but it remained for the definite announcement to come in the way of approved samples of stone. These samples arrived today at the local postoffice. One block of “buff” Bedford limestone, which is really the ordinary colored sand stone, and one block of red and black Platte canon granite tell the story. These samples went to Washington, were examined, inspected, tested, approved and sent back with the official “O. K.” on them. Accompanying these two samples of stone were brick, gravel, and every other material which goes into the building proper. The roofing has not yet been approved. Almost simultaneously with the arrival of these approved samples came a carload of cement and a carload of machinery for the contractor. The machinery consists of hoisting **rine, concrete mixer and other articles needed by a contractor. They came here from Fort Dodge. The postoffice building is now ahead of schedule time and it is expected that it will be completed long before the time allowed. The granite for the building is for the foundation and is the same as used in the basement of the First National bank.” (The Weekly Courier, July 28, 1911.)

Contractor J. H. Weise, who is constructing the federal building here, arrived in the city on Tuesday for a 24 hour stay. He informed Postmaster Moore that much progress is being made in cutting the granite for the post office foundation and that some of the stone will arrive here the latter part of the week. It is not expected, however, that any of it will be placed until the first of next week. Mr. Weise also stated that there may be some delay in furnishing the limestone for the superstructure. The department at Washington has not yet furnished the details to the contractor for the limestone work and this stone cannot be cut until proper Instructions are received. Mr. Weiss believes that when these instructions are received the stone will be cut rapidly enough to keep up with the construction work.” (The Weekly Courier, August 18, 1911.)

Work is progressing on the new post office building. The quarries have started to ship the granite for the substructure and two car loads have arrived here. More will follow as it is needed. The first stone was laid on Tuesday morning with Postmaster Moore watching the operation. The entire day is being devoted to laying the stones on various corners of the building and the fillers between will be laid much more rapidly.” (The Weekly Courier, August 25, 1911.)

Large Crowd Present But is Unable to See or Hear Very Much — Attorney Farrar Urges Optimism. ——— The corner stone for the new federal building in this city was laid on Tuesday afternoon by the Masonic Grand Lodge of Colorado. The ceremonies were very impressive and while many people were unable to see or hear on account of obstructions and noise made by children, they respected the work being done and remained until the close of the exercises. Several hundred people were in attendance and fully half of that number were members of the Masonic order. The ritualistic work was performed by grand lodge officers under the direction of Most Worshipful Grand Master A. B. McGaffey.” (The Weekly Courier, September 8, 1911.)

The work on the construction of the new post office building is moving along with a regularity which is very pleasing to the post office department, the contractor and to citizens of Fort Collins. The construction is far in advance of the schedule as originally laid out and it would not be surprising if the building is completed long before the time specified in the contract. The substructure is rapidly nearing completion. All of the granite in the foundation is in place and the lime atone will be used as soon as it arrives. The brick masons are very busy laying up the walls inside of the foundation. While they are rushing, along with their work the carpenters are preparing the forms for the main floor of the building. This floor will be of concrete, reinforced. A large amount of cement and gravel will be used In this work as well as wire netting and rods for the reinforcement. The lime stone for the building is being cut at the yards in the east and will be shipped as needed. As soon as the work of laying up these stones is started the building will make more of a showing than any of the work yet done on the contract.” (The Weekly Courier, September 22, 1911.)

The work on the new federal building is going right along. It was tied up for a brief period during the intense cold weather a few weeks ago, but now the men are keeping right on with the contract. The boxing of the pillars have been removed and the concrete is found to be first class. Brick masons are carrying up the brick work to the roof line and preparations are being made for putting up the frame for the roof. The iron is on the ground and some of it will be put in place this week. Practically all of the stone work is completed. The interior lining tiling has been received and this will be placed very soon.” (The Weekly Courier, February 16, 1912.)

Excellent progress is being made on the new postoffice building. The contractor is working all of the men he can on the construction with the result that the work is ahead of the schedule outlined by the government. The work of placing the tiling on the roof is in progress. One side of the roof has already been covered and the men are working on the south side of the building. In addition to the roof work, men are at work in the basement and in the interior getting ready for the finishing work.” (The Weekly Courier, April 12, 1912.)

There will be no delay in the building of the new postoffice. It was feared that there might be delay due to the non-arrival of the finishing woodwork and the marble. The marble men are invariably late in furnishing material and few public buildings are completed on time because of the delay in furnishing the marble. This material is all here now and the men are engaged in placing it. Ben Ferguson arrived here from Denver today with a number of men to place the marble and they will keep up with the wood finishers in laying the material.” (The Weekly Courier, June 5, 1912.)

“The furniture for the new post office has arrived and is being hauled to the federal building. The question of lighting is the only drawback at present and this is to be taken up with Chief Inspector Forshey when he arrives tomorrow.” (The Weekly Courier, September 27, 1912.)