The Avery Block
100 – 124 N. College Avenue, 105 – 115 Linden Street, and in historic documents sometimes referred to as 106 E. Mountain Avenue
Newspaper clipping from the February 1, 1905 Fort Collins Express and Review of the First National Bank building. The photo must have been taken prior to the time that it was used in this newspaper article as the second story of the Linden and College sides of the building was added in 1902/3, yet in this photo the one-story portion of the building can be seen at right.
The Avery Block was designed by Montezuma Fuller and constructed in 1897. Originally the portions of the building that hosted the First National Bank and a drug store were 2-stories tall. These parts of the building fronted E. Mountain Avenue. The rest of the building along both Linden and N. College were only one story tall. A full second story was added in 1902/3.
“Brick masons have begun work on the big Avery block.” (Fort Collins Courier, December 24, 1896)
“The brick walls of the new Avery block are nearly completed.” (Fort Collins Courier, December 31, 1896)
“The Golden Rule store has just completed arrangements to move into the new Avery block now being erected on College avenue and Linden street. They will occupy the large double rooms running through from Linden street to College avenue.” (Fort Collins Courier, January 21, 1897)
“The Golden Rule store is nicely settled in its new quarters in the new Avery block.” (Fort Collins Courier, March 11, 1897)
“A Bold Burglary. On Friday night, October 15, E. R. Barkley’s hardware store, situated in the heart of the city, was broken into by burglars who carried off money and valuables amounting to several hundred dollars. The safe was rifled of its valuable contents, including $50 in currency, $200 in city and school warrants and $800 in notes. Two costly revolvers and several boxes of cartridges were also taken from the stock, besides pocket cutlerty, razors, etc. An attempt was made to get away with a gunny sack half filled with cutlery, silverware, etc. but either because the thieves were frightened off by some noise on the outside or because they found the load too heavy to carry, the sack and its contents were left at the back door. The burglars gained entrance to the store through a window in the second story of Mr. Barkley’s building, easily reached from the roof of the adjoining Avery block, which is a one story building, thence down the stairs to the sales room on the first floor. The safe itself escaped injury, making it apparent that whoever closed the doors the previous evening neglected to set the combination. Suspicion has fallen on a man 50 or 55 years of age, quite small in stature, smooth face, small features, hair clipped short and quite gray. He is known as Cockney Smith and is an ex-convict. He was in the city on the evening of the robbery, but has since disappeared.” (Fort Collins Courier, October 21, 1897)